WHY GO SMOKE-FREE
for Condominium Corporations
Why Choose Smoke-Free Housing?
Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing and You
In 2012, almost 85% of Nova Scotians did not smoke (CTUMS). A 2008 survey of NS residents living in multi-unit housing complexes found that a majority would prefer to live in smoke-free buildings.
Recognizing harms associated with second-hand smoke, the Nova Scotia government has gone a long way to protect the public from the known health risks of exposure to second-hand smoke in workplaces and public places. Hotels have been offering both smoking and non-smoking rooms for decades, and many are now moving to ban smoking outright. Landlords, Condominium Corporations and Housing Co-operatives can also play an important role by offering smoke-free housing options.
Here you will find information on second-hand smoke, the demand for smoke-free housing and its benefits. It is a persuasive reason for condominium developers and corporations to create a non-smoking provision in their declaration and by-laws.
Condominium developers and corporations can play a role in protecting owners and visitors by creating a non-smoking provision in the declaration and by-laws for condominium developments. Condominium corporations can also play an important role by addressing complaints of second-hand smoke.
Consider the following:
- It is possible to create smoke-free provisions in the declaration and by-laws.
- Smoke-free living is the norm in NS. In 2011, approximately 5% of non-smokers over the age of 12 were exposed to second-hand smoke in their home. (Statistics Canada, Canadian Community Health Survey).
- Second-hand smoke causes disease and premature death in children and adults who do not smoke.
- Non-smoking owners are no longer tolerating other people's smoke coming into their homes and making them sick.
- Demand for smoke-free homes is on the rise. Yet there is a major shortage of smoke-free options. This is especially problematic for those with chronic illnesses and conditions.
- The benefits are huge. Going smoke-free makes for healthy residents and a safer community.
- Creating smoke-free multi-unit condominium developments makes good economic sense and there's strong market demand. Why wait? Check out our How-to Guide for steps on how you can make it happen.